Tuesday, September 8, 2009

teaching civic responsibility


We believe that responsible citizens get out and vote. And, today, we did just that. Check out the sticker.

I took the opportunity to "teach" Jensen about the process of casting a vote. I took a few minutes and talked to him about the amazing opportunity and freedom that we have to actually vote, and that we should always "go out and vote" even in the local elections.

I know this sounds crazy, but as we turned in our vote, he actually cheered with delight. Ok, I know, he is a smiley guy most of the time anyway, but it was kind of cool timing.

Jensen is a perfect blend of deeply-rooted conservatism on one side of his family, and die-hard democrats on the other. Our goal is just to help him become an independent-thinker, and seize as many opportunities that we can to teach him how to make intelligent decisions about the world around him. Jensen, left or right, we don't care. Just remember to get out and vote. ;) Your voice, your single vote, really does matter.

3 comments:

  1. Jensen's voting pic looks so much like his Grandpa Warren!

    Love this site, even though I've never met Jensen, I feel as though I know him!!

    Love you guys,
    Aunt Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey!!! Are you in Florida? Lots of people think he looks like Grandpa Warren. People actually commented on that when we stopped at the Urbana Community Center to vote! Hope you are enjoying the sunshine! M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I'm in Florida and I have your grandmother down here too. She does water aerobics in the mornings and attends game night with a group of people...heck, she has more friends than me and she has only been here a week!

    ReplyDelete